Sunday, February 26, 2012

Birthday Turned Sermon

PESSIMISM

I may not know who this man is. But I believe he's some great Algerian Rai singer who died on the day and year I was born.

His name is Cheb Hasni, an Algerian crooner known for his taboo love songs. He quickly rose to fame in Algeria despite the censorship in the country, and became even more successful abroad. Apparently, religious groups like the Muslims, disapproved of his music. He received numerous death threats and several assassination attempts until finally he was murdered on September 29, 1994.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheb_Hasni (since all the other sources are in French @_@)

Another thing that happened on my birthday was the finalization of the jury members for the Oj Simpson murder case trial. 
Oj Simpson is a football star who killed his ex-wife and her friend. He was tried for two counts of murder and was acquitted after the of trial. The case was severely long (9 months) and media feasted on it; sensationalizing and stuff like that. 


Two events that claimed lives. While on the other side of the world a new life began, mine. Somehow it made me contemplate on the ever cliche "cycle of life" and "life is short; make the most out of everything" quotes. It's damn true. Even if I become someone great, awesome, and successful someday, my time of death will come; replacing the space I left vacant on this giant spaceship. So why bother aiming for success in this life if everything's gonna be gone anyway? 

My indefinite answer to my own question: Set a goal to have direction and purpose in life. Indeed everything will be gone, but I think it would be stupid to waste all the time we have in our life even if , ironically, we say life is too short. A day is a day; a month is a month; a year is a year. My common sense and philosophical side dictate to me that I can choose to be "patapon" and don't give a damn about life. But being "patapon" requires  a person to have a fall back; like be an heir to a billion dollar company or something. That gives you the OPTIMAL reason to be a douche. However, I'm not fortunate enough to be one of those richie rich. So I am left with no choice but to deal with life practically if I want to bum out.

I am amused but at the same time irked by how vague this post of mine is. Forgive me. 

I guess researching and writing about events that happened on my birthday made me over think things again. Till next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment